Toxic Plants

Protect Your Family and Pets from Toxic Plants

Plants serve us in many ways — they beautify the environment, release oxygen into the air and yield fruit for the table. Yet, we need to be aware that poisonous plants are everywhere. More than 700 species of plants located in the United States and Canada can cause illness or death in humans. It’s important to identify the dangerous plants inside your home, in your garden, and in nearby woods and parks.

Some ornamental shrubs and trees and a variety of wild plants common in yards, woods, swamps and fields can be dangerous. When moving to a new home, it’s smart to identify the plants in the landscape, and it's wise to ask about potential toxicity when buying new plants for your home and yard.

If you are uncertain of a plant's identity, take it to a nursery or florist for identification. It’s a good idea to label plants in the home and throw away leaves as they die and fall.

Mushrooms in the yard need to be picked and disposed of as soon as possible. Tell children not to eat them … they’re not the same mushrooms you buy in a grocery store.

Gardening is often a family activity. Until you use seeds and bulbs, store them safely out of reach of children. And children should not pick any vegetables or fruit without adult supervision.

Basic Tips

By following some basic steps, you can help protect your children and pets from being harmed by toxic plants:

  • Know the names of poisonous plants.
  • Show babysitters and grandparents where to find the list of plant names.
  • Keep dangerous plants out of reach of children and pets.
  • Teach children never to touch or eat plant parts.
  • Teach children that sucking nectar from flowers is unsafe.
  • Never let children suck on jewelry made from decorative beans or seeds.
  • Store labeled bulbs and seeds safely out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Never collect wild herbs to eat or brew as tea, unless you are professionally trained to identify them.
  • Don’t burn toxic plants. Smoke from poison oak, poison ivy and other toxic plants can irritate your eyes, nose, throat and lungs.

Emergency Action

If you, or someone you know has eaten a poisonous plant, contact a physician or the Poison Control Center at 1-800-442-6305 immediately. If the victim is choking and cannot breathe, dial 911. Remove any plant parts from the mouth as quickly as possible and try to determine the following:

  • Can you describe the plant, including the size, shape and arrangement of the leaves?
  • What part of the plant was eaten?
  • What kind of fruit was eaten? Berries? Nuts? Can you describe it in detail — color, firmness, juiciness, etc?
  • Where is the plant growing?

If you are told to go to an emergency room for treatment, take the plant or a portion of the plant with you. Take more than a single leaf or berry. Answer all questions to the best of your knowledge, and follow the advice given by the Poison Control Center or physician.

Do not induce vomiting in a child without consulting a physician or the Poison Control Center. In some cases, vomiting may affect a child's heart rate. Each case needs individual evaluation and The Poison Control Center's recommendations will vary with the amount and time of ingestion.

By dialing 1-800-222-1222, Texas residents have access to a network of nurses, pharmacists, paramedics and physicians who have extensive education, training and expertise in the field of toxicology. If necessary, the staff may refer callers to the nearest hospital and assist in the person’s initial treatment and follow-up care.

NOTE: It's the dose that makes the poison. Just one bite of some plants can be harmful, while with others, it may take eating the entire plant. And remember this … a plant in Pennsylvania may be less — or more — harmful than the same plant in Texas. So before you go vacation, it’s a good idea to learn about native plants.

TexomaCare’s pediatricians and family medicine physicians specialize in the healthcare of children and young adults, and monitor the normal growth and development of children’s motor and intellectual skills.
If you have a child with food allergies, you know how important it is to educate them and the adults in their lives (including teachers, caregivers, and coaches) about the basics of food allergies and reactions.
These plants are the most common causes of skin rash among children and adults in the United States and Canada.
Poisonous plants are divided into several groups according to the chemicals they contain. The most dangerous contain one of these three chemicals — solanine, grayanotoxins, and cardiac glycosides.
This Draft Has Sidebar Blocks
Sidebar Block 1
Poisonous
Plants

Common Toxic and Nontoxic Plants
Lists of safe vs. unsafe plants are never complete and can be hard to understand. Some toxic plants can be mistaken for nontoxic plants in a photograph. The following lists are not all-inclusive.

Amaryllis
Azalea
Begonia
Bird of Paradise
Buttercup
Calla Lily
Camphor tree
Caladium
Carnation
Castor bean
Chinese evergreen
Chrysanthemum
Cyclamen
Daffodil
Daisy
Daphne
Deadly nightshade
Dumbcane
Elderberry
Elephant ear
English laurel
Eucalyptus
Foxglove
Fruit pits and seeds
Holly
Horse chestnut
Hyacinth
Hydrangea blossom
Iris
Jack-in-the-pulpit
Jerusalem cherry
Jimson weed
Juniper
Lantana
Larkspur
Laurel cherry
Lily-of-the-valley
Mayapple
Mistletoe
Morning glory
Mountain laurel
Nightshade
Oak tree
Oleander
Peace lily
Periwinkle
Philodendron
Poinsettia
Poison hemlock
Pokeweed
Poppy
Potato plant
Pyracantha
Rhododendron
Rhubarb leaves
Rosary bean
Skunk cabbage
Snow-on-the-mountain
Spider lily
St. Johnswort
Tomato leaves
Tulips
Virginia creeper
Water hemlock
Wintersweet
Yew

Sidebar Block 2
Safe Plants
(nontoxic to humans)

It’s important to remember that children and animals can choke on any plant.

African violet
Aluminum plant
Anthurium, Taliflower
Aphelandra
Baby tears
Blood leaf
Boston fern
Christmas cactus
Coleus
Corn plant
Dracaena
Emerald ripple
Peperomia
Hen-and-chickens
Hoya
Impatiens
Jade
Parlor palm
Prayer plant

Sidebar Block 3
Poison
Control

For more information on plants and tips on poison-proofing your home, visit www.poisoncontrol.org.

Sidebar Block 4
Texoma Medical Center is owned and operated by a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS), a King of Prussia, PA-based company, that is one of the largest healthcare management companies in the nation.     

Texoma Medical Center
5016 South US Highway 75
Denison, TX 75020
(903) 416-4000

PRIVACY POLICY / HIPAA STATEMENT / PHYSICIAN DISCLAIMER
© 2014 Texoma Medical Center. All rights reserved.

Note:The information on this website is provided as general health guidelines and may not be applicable to your particular health condition. Your individual health status and any required medical treatments can only be properly addressed by a professional healthcare provider of your choice. Remember: There is no adequate substitution for a personal consultation with your physician. Neither Texoma Medical Center, or any of their affiliates, nor any contributors shall have any liability for the content or any errors or omissions in the information provided by this Web site.The information, content and artwork provided by this website is intended for non-commercial use by the reader. The reader is permitted to make one copy of the information displayed for his/her own non-commercial use. The making of additional copies is prohibited.