Complete Decongestive Therapy
Lymphedema is an abnormal accumulation of lymphatic fluid, most often occurring in the extremities, which can lead to decreased immune function. While lymphedema cannot be cured, it can be effectively treated.
The Texoma Medical Center Outpatient Therapy Services team will schedule an evaluation session for you with one of our trained staff members. Based on the evaluation, we will create a custom management program that follows the principles of Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT).
Your program will include:
- Manual lymphatic drainage (MLD), which uses light massage to help lymphatic fluid flow from the swollen area
- Topical skin and nail care to eliminate bacterial and fungal growth and resist infection
- Compression bandaging to prevent lymph fluid from re-entering affected extremities
- Therapeutic exercises to help muscles pump excess lymphatic fluid away from the affected area
Each session will run from 60-90 minutes, several days a week, until maximum volume reduction is achieved. When therapy is complete, your therapist will teach you proper self-management techniques so you can continue lymphedema management at home.
Goals of Complete Decongestive Therapy
The goals of CDT are to:
- Decrease swelling
- Increase lymph drainage from congested areas
- Reduce skin fibrosis and improve skin condition
- Enhance functional status
- Relieve discomfort and improve quality of life
- Reduce the risk of cellulitis
Get a Physician Referral
If you need a referral to a rehabilitation therapist or other physician at Texoma Medical Center, call our free physician referral service at 1-903-416-3627.